Contemplating a green startup? Already an established green tech firm and thinking of expansion or relocation? Maybe you just want to make your facilities, processes, and products more environmentally friendly. We’ve got you covered.
Here you’ll find information specifically for and about Green Enterprises: We’ll cover the basics, plus financing options, government contracting opportunities, green certification and ecolabeling, as well as import/export regulations and government incentive programs. AITC has partnered with the Alabama Department of Environmental Management to provide training and assistance to Alabama’s small businesses that have ‘Green’ questions.
For New Businesses:
- Get help Starting a Green Business by offering eco-friendly products and services.
- Follow these Ten Steps to adopt environmentally-friendly business practices.
- Read about the most Successful Green Businesses for real accounts of green business in practice.
Green Business Assistance:
- Dept of Commerce: Renewable Energy & Energy Efficiency Exporter Portal
- Ex-Im Bank: Environmental Export Financing
- Environmental Grants, Loans, and Incentives
- Green Purchasing and Government Contracting Opportunities
- Green Certification and Ecolabeling
Domestic and International Certification Standards and Labeling Regulations
A variety of laws and regulations govern import and export requirements of materials which may pose a risk to human health and the environment. EPA works with the states, other federal agencies, and foreign governments to ensure compliance with laws governing the import and export of many of these materials.
Information on these legal requirements and other information on imports and exports may be found below.
- Vehicles, engines, and engine-driven equipment
- Fuels and fuel additives: registration and health effects testing
- Ozone depleting substances
- Chemical substances regulated under TSCA (Toxic Substance Control Act)
- Pesticides, including pesticide residue on foods
- Hazardous wastes
- International Trade in Hazardous Waste
- RCRA Compliance (Resource Conservation and Recovery Act)
- International Waste Activities (Requirements, Resources, Regulations, and Agreements)
- Plumbing products (SDWA: Safe Drinking Water Act)
- Scrap metal
- Draft Guidance for Industry Good Importer Practices
- Interagency Working Group on Import Safety
- Action Plan for Import Safety (PDF) (68 pp, 1.6MB, About PDF)
- More information on imported products covered by other Federal Agencies and Departments.
- BorderCenter.org can help you deal with environmental issues involved with the import and export of materials and wastes.